|Behind this smile lies discomfort, |
As someone who wore a 'body' for many years (although only one photo survives - see right where I have teemed it with a PVC waistcoat c.1991) I feel that I must pass on the following advice to anyone considering such a purchase.
Things to know before you buy a body
1. They come with poppers. At the crotch. Like a baby-gro.This will cause one or all of the following:
- The inability to do it up without either giving yourself a wedgie, trapping your pubic hair or (worse still) your skin.
- The poppers to release themselves at an inopportune moment, causing the flaps to work their way up to the top of your waistband. There is no 'tucking in' that will fix this. You'll have to either excuse yourself or forgo all dignity and forage around in your trousers in the middle of a meeting / at the dinner table.
2. They make going to the toilet impossible
Watch that flap at the back! It is specifically designed to be the optimal length to get dipped in the toilet / wee'd on. If this happens you are either going to have to go topless or spend the rest of the day with a wet noonie.
Should you find yourself in that horrible position where there is no loo roll and you have to 'drip dry', doing the poppers up is especially tricky and potentially unpleasant. What are you going to wipe your fingers on afterwards? How are you going to unlock the door now you've got wee on your hands?
3. Sometimes you just forget....
Ever seen a woman wander out of a nightclub toilet with a flap of fabric hanging out of the back of her trousers? Excessive refreshment makes doing up poppers between your legs either too much of a faff or you simply forget there is an extra bit of admin to do before you flush the chain and unlock the toilet door.
4. They will cause a fight between your breasts and your bum
If you've got a daughter involved in gymnastics then you will be fully versed with the 'picking leotard out of bum move'. This is what you're letting yourself in for (and it's unlikely that you're going to look like a gymnast). The body is an item of clothing that simultaneously pulls down your tits and carves its way across your buttocks making your backside look like a joint ready for roasting. You could put on a Wonder Bra to counteract the dragging effect but this then creates a war between your extremities which will cause the gusset to become so taught it will unmercifully chafe your bits until you're forced to un-popper it. At which point the back flap will come out and you'll have to clutch it between your legs like this....
|Could someone help me please? My body has unpoppered itself...|
Photo from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36045466/beyonces-ivy-park-clothing-line-crashes-topshop-website
5. They make your life complicated
Do men wear these? No they do not. Why not? Because they're a bloody pain! The only way to make your fashion life more complicated would be to combine a body with a pair of dungarees. Nobody would do that would they? Would they? Aaaarggh!